Thokozani Chilenga-Butao is a contributor to the new Jacana title, Election 2019.
Election 2019 discusses political party campaigns, the media’s coverage of the campaigns, the latest trends in political participation and party fortunes, gender dynamics, the black middle class, as well as insights into the voter and public opinion.
The book deals with the following topics:
- Introduction: The South African elections of 2019 by Collette Schulz-Herzenberg and Roger Southall
- South African democracy at risk? The troubled context of the 2019 general elections by Roger Southall
- Credible but flawed: The management of the elections by Kealeboga J Maphunye
- Trends in voter participation: registration, turnout and the disengaging electorate by Collette Schulz-Herzenberg
- A campaign born of desperation: The ‘good ANC’ battles the ‘bad ANC’ in the electoral last chance saloon by Anthony Butler
- The Democratic Alliance at a crossroads by The quest for afro-liberalism. Zwelethu Jolobe
- The Economic Freedom Fighters: Authoritarian or Democratic Contestant? by Benjamin Roberts
- The smaller parties: Who’s in and who’s out? by Cherrel Africa
- Beyond the botnets: the media and the 2019 general elections by Jane Duncan
- Women voting in uncertain times by Amanda Gouws
- The 2019 national election results by Collette Schulz-Herzenberg
- Provincial dynamics and results in elections 2019 by Thokozani Chilenga-Butao
- South African democracy following elections 2019 by Roger Southall and Collette Schulz-Herzenberg